Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Why Fantasy?

If someone asked me to choose a single favorite genre ('coz the usual answer about favorite genre usually comes as a combination)...no second thoughts. It's fantasy. So why this genre? Why fantasy?





Fantasy is a genre of no limits. Imagine a world with no boundaries. Where anything you want to happen is possible and within your grasp. Where you can create a world and be its master. Where you can experience magic, make your own language, meet these amazing fictional characters and learn from them. Lessons from fictional people and yet so real. See the irony?

Reading fiction always involve imagination. When reading, you can basically do whatever you want. Be whoever you want to be. Go wherever you wish to go. What's more if it is fantasy? Fantasy will give you the whole reading experience only fictional worlds could offer.

Some say reading fantasy could be exhausting. They said being introduced to a whole new bunch of concepts could sometimes be stressful. THAT NEVER HAPPENED TO ME. Maybe because my imagination is so wild that to imagine even the most impossible in my case is as normal as breathing. I was utterly in love with this genre that never did I encounter such problems.

I always believe in magic ever since as a child. That the world is filled with it. Magic is everywhere. In your family, friends, crush, pet, nature, books...everywhere. Magic isn't tangible. Magic couldn't be seen. Instead, it could only be felt. Magic happens when you couldn't stop tears from falling down your face when you were so touched because of that movie you just watched. Magic is what you felt when you were so happy after your family and friends remember your birthday. Magic is the reason why you love your pet dog so much. Magic is there when you're walking alone surrounded by nothing but trees and shrubs of tiny yellow flowers and yet...you feel so contented and safe.

Same thing why I like magic in books. Fantasy in books. Because this genre made me feel so much. I have experienced all varieties of emotions as I read great fantasy in literature. It makes use of other genres like romance, humor, adventure etc. interweaving them well with each other to create this fictional world that provides you with a home and lessons you can apply back to your own world.

A good fantasy isn't my escape but my home. It makes me feel that I belong. Most of all, this limitless genre helps me cope and understand myself better because of its endless list of perspectives.

On its complexity I found simplicity. On its vagueness I found the right words. On its arms I found reality in fiction. 

How about you? What is your favorite genre? Did you ever feel the way I did? Because if yes, that would be too great. You're lucky. We're lucky to experience these wonderful emotions all possible because our Father in heaven LOVE us so much that he wants us to have everything, to feel everything. Everything that would make us very glad that we are still here and very much alive. 




2 comments:

  1. My favorite genres are fantasy and adventure. I just love the feeling of being thrilled. Of having a fun adventure. I always look for it in every book that I read. It's awesome. But mostly magical. ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. saaame. i couldn't bear a cheesy contemporary romance though. maybe i should discuss tropes that I hate in books on my future posts...

      Delete