Monday, April 2, 2018

My Favorite Chocolates (Proudly Made by Filipinos)

(c) eminaceae



Chocolates are one of my absolute favorites in this world. I can’t imagine a life wherein I’m not craving for any chocolates. If I’m stressed and yearning for something sweet, chocolate is always my end game. You should also know that I have these very keen taste buds when it comes to tasting these sweet angels. I bragged to friends that I can distinguish an imported chocolate (actually bought from another country) from the same brand but manufactured here in PH.  

One of my fondest memories when I was a child happened every 4 or 5 PM—the time where my uncle went home from his work. The child version of me patiently waited for the sound of a tricycle stopping by in front of their house. That was when I knew it was my uncle finally back and in his hand a chocolate for yours truly.

I will come running from our house, grinning so widely, calling him by the name my childish tongue had twisted because it couldn’t utter the word ‘Tito.’ Whenever he saw me, I remember my uncle will have this big smile on his face and on his hand was a small box, sometimes a plastic pack of this chocolate: Jack n Jill Pretzel. I looooove that chocolate so much especially when it was the box one (‘coz there are more sticks heh). Even until now, when I saw these chocolate pretzels on stores, I couldn’t help but relieved the fun memories of my childhood and crave for a bite. Mostly, it reminds me of my uncle and why I am so glad that we are finally okay after a personal conflict that had occurred between us.

Then I grew up (and is still growing up) when I discovered another choco-fav. College life had become so stressful that I’m almost craving chocolates most of the time. The first time I tasted this one is probably when I bought a single piece or two (or three) from a family store. After tasting it, I was in love. In love with Flat Tops. For the perfect Flat Tops treat, it must be not the one in box (oftentimes, they are curly tops and I don’t like them ‘coz they taste like soap) and preferably not sealed (like snowbear packaging). I am not sure why but the taste of this chocolate changes. There is something with their packaging process that interferes with the taste and it sucks when it taste like decaying woods (I must have eaten an old wood when I was a child because I eat anything back then haha). Still, every time I bought the right one, NO REGRETS. Flat Tops is one of the best.

Oh, and don’t mistake Flat Tops from Curly Tops. From their names you’ll know their basic difference. Flat tops has a ‘flat’ top while curly top has a ‘curled’ top.  And avoid the box ones if you want to try this. I swear that boxes of this chocolate are taste-changers.

Pretzel and Flat Tops are also made by Filipino companies. I actually searched for proofs, and yes, if I didn’t miss anything, these two are really chocolates made by Filipinos. I’m SO PROUD of this fact. Proud because according to my taste buds, they are on the same level with internationally known brands (e.g. Toblerone and M&M).

*Sighing dreamily* Chocolates, just like certain scents, are like keys of a locked passage. And in my case, they open the closed door to my beautiful memories.

I hope this post makes you remember your own favorite sweets. Feel free to comment them below!

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. you should try box jack & jill pretzel...

      Delete
    2. I love chocolates too... Flat tops 😍 the funny thing their is when my friend gave me this flat tops.. I usually keep the candy wrapper for some remembrance😍

      Delete